Popular Posts

Friday, February 18, 2011

My BIG cloth diaper post.

I've been wanting to put together a post with everything I've learned so far about cloth diapers.  It can be so confusing when you're just starting out!  11 months in cloth definitely does not make me an expert by any means, and I've noticed that even mamas who have everything in the world in common, will have different favorites when it comes to cloth diapers.  So my advice??  Try one of everything.  Maybe not every brand, that could get ridiculous (like me) but try the different types & see what works for you.  Honestly, I did a complete 180 when Brandon was born.  The ones I was so so sure were going to be my faves, were just not.  And I was sad.  Until I realized I was being a complete lunatic trying to force myself to like a diaper!


With a cloth diaper, there are usually two parts.  The absorbent part and the waterproof part (the cover).  There are a few different ways to create this....

Flats and Prefolds with Covers
These are the diapers most people think of when they think of cloth.  These are in almost every nursery (as burp cloths maybe?) and super economical and easy to launder.  These are the diapers our great grandparents used!  They no longer need to be pinned, which is pretty awesome.  I have to admit, though they were never favorites of mine, I did like the little Snappi that held them in place.  You would pair a flat (a flat piece of cloth that you fold the way you like/need for absorbency) or a prefold (a flat with pre stitched tri fold design... the middle third has more layers for absorbency) with a waterproof cover that you'd buy separately.  Youtube is awesome for examples of how to fold both flats and prefolds.
For me, the pros were the cost, ease of laundering, the many uses (inserts for pocket diapers, burp cloths & then the right way!) I like that you can move them around to where you need more or less absorbency and they're easy to use.  The cons for me were: the non wicking away from baby's bum.  This was a big one for me.  Maybe I didn't have the right prefolds, but when Bub woke up in the morning, his little bum was wet & hot & gross.  I felt like the cover just kept it all in there like a little humid, pee smelling bubble.  And speaking of bubble, I've read that moms love prefolds because they're so trim.  I did not find this to be the case.  I felt like they were bulky.
So that's my take on prefolds & flats...  The covers can be made of PUL, fleece or wool.  And there is a huge range!  Cute prints, pull on, wrap around (like a disposable diaper) knitted, long pants...  I carry sustainablebabyish "longies" which are knitted wool pants and I LOVE them!  When I do use a diaper that needs a cover, these keep sheets dry & they just look so comfy.  In hot or cold weather!  They're breathable, soft & they just look so cute.  Sometimes I'll throw them on Brandon even if he doesn't need them for a cover.  They do need to be hand washed in wool wash, but you can wear them multiple times before they need to be washed!

Fitteds
So these are so so super cute.  So many colors & prints & they're SO soft!  The sustainablebabyish fitted diapers we carry will seriously make you wish they came in adult sizes (maybe not to potty in, but they're so squishy!)  I brought some to the hospital with me & Brandon looked so cozy.  I love love love them for newborns.  They do need a cover (which is sad sometimes if you have a really cute print)  I've read that some people say their babies can get away with no cover for a while, but I've never had that happen.  Brandon must be a super soaker ;)  They wash easily... sometimes they have to go in a second dry cycle at my house, but lots of them do.  It still beats buying a bag of disposables every week!!

Pocket diapers
My favorites <3  They do have their cons...  pulling the insert out when it's covered in poop can be a little gross.  I just actually did a load of diapers yesterday & pulling out the inserts was not that awesome.  Stinky pee!  But I love love love them.  They wick away moisture so baby's bum stays dry, they have their own cover.  Actually, let me back up and describe them!
So you have a cover (or a shell)  that looks sort of like a disposable diaper.  It can have snaps or velcro (I prefer snaps because velcro seems to get stuff in in at my house, but velcro is easy to adjust the size, so....)  And the shell has a pocket in it.  Basically, an opening in the back (some have them in front) that you just slip an "insert" into.  The insert is usually microfiber, hemp or bamboo.  That soaks up the pee and the liner keeps baby's bum dry.  Stuffing & unstuffing is not ideal for some, but I love them.  And the Fuzzibunz that we carry, I just toss them in the washer & the inserts agitate right out! 

All in Ones
These look similar to the pocket diapers, except that the inserts don't come out.  They can be stitched inside or on top of the part that touches baby's bum.  They're one piece & pretty impossible to mess up :)  My only issue with them is that sometimes they can take forever to dry.  Pretty minor issue I'd say.  I still like pockets better because of the wicking away, but some mamas swear by aio's (probably lots of dads too!!)  These can be pricier because they're convenient.  Same with anything else ;)

I'm sure I will come back lots of times to edit & change this post... I feel like it's a lot of information to just throw together with a sleeping baby in your lap (who is wiggling, so my minutes here are numbered!)  But I hope this is a little bit helpful.  There's a LOT of information out there & I worry that it can scare some parents off.  I love that there are so many choices, but it can definitely be overwhelming.  Eventually, I would love to put together a "try before you buy" package, with different types.  Something to work on!!

Always ALWAYS know that I am here to answer any questions that I can, and find the answers to questions that I can't answer myself.  I love cloth diapers so much and I want other parents to love them too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment